The Flower Festival took place in the Church all weekend, and was truly spectacular. Visitors enjoyed Cream Teas on the green in front of the 'temporary' Church Hall (the wooden structure lasted at least a decade before being replaced by a substantial brick building). Music was provided throughout the weekend. Click on the small pictures for larger images.
3. 'Receive this light. This is to show that you have passed from darkness to light.' (part of the Baptism Service). - Jenny Barrows
4. Tomb - Ephesians Ch. 5 v 14: 'Awake O sleeper, and rise up from the dead; and Christ shall give you light' - Pam Wise
5. 2 Corinthians Ch. 4 v 6: 'For it is God who said "Let light shine out of darkness" ' - Jess Parry
6. Matthew Ch. 4 v 16: 'The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light' (with reference to the political changes then happening in South Africa) - Women's Institute - Mrs. Chapman
7. 'This little light of mine' - Coombes Infant School - click here for 2nd image
9. Pulpit - Psalm 119 v 130: 'The unfolding of thy word gives light'; Cross: John Ch. 8 v 12: 'Jesus said, "I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life".'
10. Hargreaves' Pews (on the right and left of the Chancel) - Hymn 109 'For all the Saints' - sponsored by Arborfield and Newland Parish Council
11. Lord's Table - Ephesians Ch. 5 v 8: 'For once you were in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light'; John Ch. 4 v 14: 'The water that I shall give will become in Him a spring of water welling up to eternal life'.
13. Lectern - Psalm 119 v 105: 'Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path' - Janice Tattersdill
15. Hymn 389 - 'May we be a shining light' - Mothers' Union - Liz Goddard
16. Isaiah Ch. 58 v 8: 'Then shall your light break forth like the dawn' - Tower Bell Ringers
18. Psalm 139 v 12: 'Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you' - Sandy Tyers
19. Back Pew: 'Shine Jesus, Shine' - Arborfield Gardening Association - Margaret Edwards and Joycelyn Robins - click here for another image
Suspended Ball - Psalm 113 v 3: 'From the rising of the Sun until the going down of the same, the Lord's Name is to be praised'. - click here for another image
20. Porch Windows - Genesis Ch. 1 v 16: 'And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night' - Pat Macarthy - click here for another image
The Church Porch was also decorated on the outside.
Cream teas were served from the old Church Hall, and musicians and bell-ringers entertained the guests.
The churchyard provided a pleasant setting for refreshments.
Any Feedback or comments on this website? Please e-mail the webmaster