Mrs. Stuart Rickman had a London
address as well as Arborfield Grange.
In 1849, there was a note about 'Arborfield Cottage', which eventually became known as 'Arborfield Grange' - it begins with an advertisement to let, dated 1842, then continues with some slightly illegible notes:
( Arborfield Grange
), TO BE LET IN 1842.
The house is situated in the Parish of Arborfield, on
the border of Windsor Forest, 5 miles from the Railway Station at
Reading, about 7 miles from the Twyford Station, on the Great Western
Line, and about 9 from the Hartley Row Station, on the Southampton Line
The Premises are in complete repair and are most
abundantly supplied with excellent hard and soft water.
OCCUPANTS OF ARBORFIELD GRANGE
The following were occupants of Arborfield Grange
according to Snares, Billings, Kellys, Dutton Allens or Harrods Post
Office Directories, 1842 - 1939.
SALE OF ARBORFIELD GRANGE
The Grange was sold off to become two properties, the newer buildings we now know as the 'Grange', and the original building we know as 'Arborfield House'. The Sale Document contained the following photographs together with their captions (we would welcome other copies of this document to improve image definition):
From the late 1920's until at least 1939, the Grange was occupied by Edith Marion Williamson. The 1928 Electoral Register also records the name 'Jerrard Ross Williamson', and the 'Reading Mercury' of 10th October 1931 carried two photographs of his wedding:
'Ten Bridesmaids and Four Young Attendants composed the bridal retinue of Miss Christine Petre, daughter of Captain C B Petre of Poland, Odiham, to Mr J Ross Williamson of Arborfield Grange, at Odiham on Thursday. Left: The bride and bridegroom. Right: The fourteen attendants.'
During WWII, the Grange was occupied as an Officers' Mess by the U. S. Army Air Force, and was described by Thomas J Carter.
In recent years, the newer building has been split into six apartments; also, the grounds have been cleared of undergrowth and have become more visible from the outside. The lake can be seen from Church Lane near the Old Rectory, while much of the drive can be seen from the Reading Road.
Any Feedback or comments on this website? Please e-mail the webmaster