Local History Society

 New Church - Interior from 1929

Monuments in new churchyard, as recorded in 1929

New church under construction, from the east

New church under construction, from the west

New church interior, 1940s





Arborfield New Church, visited 1929

(copied for the Local History Recording Scheme by Mr Chambers)

In the Chancel:

1. On the north wall on a white marble tablet with black marble background.

Sacred to the memory of Ellen the beloved wife of the Revd. John Warren Hayes (Rector of this parish) and daughter of George Edward Beauchamp Esqr. of the priory in this county, she died Augst. 16 1849, aged 32, and is buried in a vault in the churchyard. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours, and their works do follow them. Rev. XIV. 13.

2. On the same wall on another white marble tablet with black marble background.

In loving and grateful remembrance of Sir William Brown Bart., by whom with the aid of the Revd. John Hayes, Bart., this church was built. Born May 30th 1794, Died March 5th 1864. The church was consecrated 1863. Also in memory of Arthur, great grandson of the above and eldest son of Thomas Hargreaves Esqr. of Arborfield Hall, born August 20th 1859 died October 25th 1878. "The mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him". Also in memory of Edith, the beloved daughter of Thomas Hargreaves, Esqr. of Arborfield Hall, and wife of Viscount Exmouth, of Canonteign, Devon. Born 1860 – Died 1914. Also in memory of Sarah wife of Thomas Hargreaves of Arborfield Hall. Born 1833 – Died 1918.

3. The Organ is placed on the north side of the chancel & on the front of it is a small brass tablet which has on it: 1863 J. W. Walker Maker London.

[The Organ was later moved to the base of the Bell Tower, thus obscuring some of the tablets transcribed by Mr. Chambers in this list.]


4. On the south wall near the doorway is an oblong shaped gun metal tablet to those who made the supreme sacrifice in the great war.

In proud and grateful remembrance of the men of Arborfield and Newland, who gave their lives in the great war 1914 - 1919. Faithful unto death.

E. A. Barnes,
A. J. Barnfield,
F. C. Baston,
F. G. Brant,
C. G. Brean,
C. H. Clark,
A. H. Edwards,
F. W. Emblen,
H. W. H. Haines,
A. Hawkes,
S. J. Huzzey,
C. A. L. Thearse,
W. G. Middleton,
G. Millard,
W. Payne,
F. G. Powell,
C. J. Simonds,
S. G. Stacey,
V. Stokes,
F. G. E. Ward,
F. G. H. Ward.

Their names shall live for ever.

5. On the same wall on an oblong brass, 18 x 5 ½ ins, removed from the old church.

Blessed are the dead which dye in our Lord. Heere Lyeth the body of Thomas Haward Gent. wth Anne his wife & Frances there only child, who was maried to William Thorold : & had issue by him 7 Sones & 7 Daughters. THIS Thomas Haward Depted ye 24th of November Ao DNI 1643.

An illustration of this brass will be found in "Berkshire Monumental Brasses" by H. T. Morley page 25, an excellent & thorough work on the brasses of this county.

6. Under no. 5 slightly to the left of it on a [blank].

The Revd. HENRY HODGKINSON M.A. 42 years rector of this parish Died 20th August 1839 aged 86 years. "His ways were ways of pleasantness and all his paths were peace", Provbs 3rd chap. 17.

7. Under no. 5 slightly to the right of it on [blank]

It is most earnestly requested that no one will ever remove the ashes deposited in this grave of Sarah, wife of the Revd. Henry Hodgkinson, M.A., Rector of this Parish, only daughter of Geoe. and Anne Courtup, of Reading, who departed this life with her Infant Son Feby. 18th 1804 in the 29 year of her age and 2nd of her marriage. A Sigh the absent claims the Dead a Tear, Forgive the wish that would have kept you here.


8. North wall on a white marble tablet with coat of arms at the top & black marble background.

In the vault beneath rest the mortal remains of George Dawson of Yorkshire; he married Elmira the only surviving child of John Reeves of Arborfield by his wife Dorothy, the daughter of Charles Gore, of Hockstow, in the county of Lincoln. He died 30th April 1832, in the 69th year of his age. His son inscribes this tablet to the memory of his affectionate father.

[in pencil: Transferred from the old Church]

9. Close to 8 east side of it on a large white marble tablet & black marble background & coat of arms below the inscription.

Sacred to the memory of Pelsant Reeves Late of Arborfield House Esqre. who with a remarkable serenity of temper and cheerfulness of disposition attain’d to the great age of eighty four. Beloved by all that knew him, and after a gradual decay, during the last two years expir’d without a groan Sixth Febry. 1764. He married Jane Daughter of John Mason of Kent, Esqre., by whom he had six children, three who survived him and three that died young, who are buried with him in the adjacent Vault. In grateful remembrance of the best of husbands his widow caus’d this Monument to be erected.

[in pencil: Transferred from the old Church]

10. Close to 9 further east & on a level with it is a white marble tablet with black marble background.

In memory of John Reeves, of Arborfield House, Esq re. of Berkshire and one of the verderers of Windsor Forest, Died at Andover May 20th 1814, aged 80 years, also Ann Reeves, widow of the above, died at Andover May 7th 1837, aged 90 years. Their only surviving son caused this tablet to be erected.

[in pencil: Transferred from the old Church]

11. Below 9 on a white marble tablet with polished black marble background.

In memory of George Pelsant Dawson of Arborfield and Osgodby, Yorkshire, J.P. for Berkshire, and for the east and west riding of Yorkshire, Deputy Lieut. For Yorkshire only son of George Dawson and Elmira Reeves of Arborfield, Born 1802, Died 1873, and of Susan Jane, his wife, daughter of Henry Dod, of Burnham, Somerset, Died 1882. Erected by their cousin S. Hargreaves.

12. On the south wall of the tower on a white marble tablet with black stone background.

In loving memory of Harriet and Ellen Daughters of Washington Jackson and Maria Dawson, who died in May and December 1900.

Close to 12 & on the right side of it is placed a framed printed account of the bells.


Church of St. Bartholomew the Apostle

The Bells

Treble, weight 3 cwt. 2qrs. 31bs. Stamped with Trefoil, Lion's Head and crown, cast in the Wokingham Foundry in the 14th century.

2nd. Fecit 1743, in the reign of King George II. Weight 4 cwt. 2qrs. 61bs. Inscribed " Robert Grace, Thomas Cowdery, Churchwardens," R. Catlin, Fecit. 1743.

3rd. Dated 1653 during the Commonwealth. Weight 5cwt. 3qrs, 21bs. Inscribed "John Webb, Matthew Milam, churchwardens". Cast by Ellis Knight, Frances Knight, Henry Knight II [all] of Reading.

4th. Date 1589, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Weight 6cwt. Oqrs. 121bs. Inscribed "Pryase ye the Lorde". Probably cast by Henry Knight of Reading.

5th. Date 1639 in the reign of Charles I. Weight 8cwt. 2qrs. 231bs. Inscribed "Love God". Probably cast by Ellis Knight of Reading.

Tenor. Date 1862 in the reign of Queen Victoria. Weight 1lcwt. 2qrs. 241bs. Given by John Simonds of Newlands. Cast by John Warner and Sons of London, from old gun metal.

The bells were re-hung in 1911, at the cost of £145.


The following extracts from the Church Rate Book seem to indicate that the 2nd Bell was in use before 1743 and that it was recast in that year:-

Pd. Chamberlain for carrying the Bell to Reading 0 2 0
Pd for the Expences for the Bell, Carriage to and from London 0 12 0
Pd Jno Peacock for help hanging ye Bell 0 1 6
Pd Peter Cook, Carpenter 30 18 0
Pd for casting the Bell 5 13 0
For Bringing the Bell from Reading 0 2 0
The cost was defrayed by a rate supplemented by a subscription of £10 – 10 – 0d from Mr. Reeves of Arborfield House and £5 – 5 – 0d from the Revnd. John Waterman, Rector.      
The Church Rate Book has the following entries:      
Feby. 16th 1829 for tolling the Knell for the King’s funeral 0 1 0
July 15 1830 Thomas Appleby for tolling the Nell all day for the Kings Funeral 0 5 0
In 1888 John Simonds of Newlands gave a set of 12 Handbells.      

Most of the windows in this new church are of stained glass. The west window is of three lights with a smaller light above. In the small light is an angel holding a scroll with the words: Alleluia Alleluia.

In the lower lights: Faith, Charity, Hope.

Below: To the glory of God and in memory of Washington and Anna Maria Dawson Jackson this window is placed by their loving children September 29th 1880.

At the east end of the chancel which is apsidal are three single lancet windows; that in the north east shows an angel with hands clasped in prayer. Below the words: In loving memory of Stuart Hamilton Rickman Captain Royal Navy Born Nov 23rd 1843 Died May 7th 1913.

Mid east: Shows our Saviour with hands upraised & standing above a city. In the glass: To the glory of God.

South east: Represents an angel kneeling with arms folded across her breast. Below in the glass: In loving memory of Ellen Ann Simonds Born Aug 18th 1846, Died Dec 9th 1896.

Within the altar rails on the south side of the chancel in a double lancet window with wide splay. The one on the east side represents Our Lord with Lamb & Flag.

Above the figures: He giveth his beloved sleep.

Below them: These Angels do always behold the face of my Father.

I am the Good Shepherd.

One on the west side represents the Crucifixion: He giveth his beloved sleep.

Below: I will not leave you comfortless

Jesu Mercy.

Nave South side.

There are four windows on this side, two only of which are coloured. The one nearest the chancel and the fourth, the one close to the doorway.

The one near the chancel is a double light window representing the "Sower" on the east side and the "Good Samaritan" on the west.

There is no brass or wording in the glass denoting to whose memory this window is erected.

The fourth window is a single lancet and it was made specially to fit some stained glass brought from the old church. Most of it was [illegible] but only this one portion placed in this window which shows the head of our Saviour bearded and wearing a mitre, was saved, all the remainder being broken. The colouring in the glass is very fine.

[This is now known to be ‘Aaron’s Head’]

There are four windows on the north side of the nave, all of double light, the second and third from the chancel end are coloured, the others plain.

Back to 'Monumental Inscriptions (Old & New Churches) & Churchyards' Page

Back to New Church Page

Back to Churches Page


Any Feedback or comments on this website?  Please e-mail the webmaster