Local History Society

 Families - Allright family

Arborfield Tithe Apportionment Map 1839

The Hurst Allwright Charity - mentioned in Newland Parish Council Minutes


The Allright or Allwright family owned land in Arborfield and the surrounding parishes for centuries.  For example,  a plaque at the back of neighbouring Barkham Church states:

Mrs. Alice Alwright gave to the Poor of this Parish
and Newland in the Parish of Hurst for ever 5 Acres and 1/4 of Land
in a Field call'd the half Moon adjoining to long Mead
now in the occupation of Mr. Piercey Sparks,
at the Yearly Rent of 4 Guineas, and the Tenant to pay all Taxes.
Jno. Herriott., Thos. Cock, Churchwardens, 1760.

In Arborfield, a Deed or Indenture dated '15th January in ‘the 5th Year of Sovereign Lady Ann’, held at Berkshire Record Office, describes

'That Messuage or Tenement and Piddle of land thereunto adjoining and belonging now in the possession or occupation of Richard Alwright situate lying and being at Arborfield Cross in the Parish of Hurst in the said County of Berks between the Tenement and lands heretofore of Sir Henry Kingsmill Knt. now or late in the possession of Thomas Alwright on the North and North East . .
And the Street called Arborfield Cross . . . . '

There are several other references in other Deeds to Thomas Alwright (one in the 1st year of the reign of George II; another on 27th December 1723).

This piece of land seems to the same as that shown in the 1839 Tithe Apportionment Map, numbered 81, 82, 83 and 86:

Here are the details of these and surrounding properties:

77 = Bull P. H. - Messrs. Willats Blandy
81 = Chapel - The Methodist Society
82 = Cottage & Garden - William Lyford
83 = Cottage & Garden - James Holmes
85 = Granary - Messrs. J & C Simonds
86 = ‘Oliver’s Pightle’ - Messrs. J & C Simonds

There were some other pieces of land in what is now called Church Lane, numbered 56, 57 and 58:

56 = Black Well - Mr Elisha Groves
57 = House & Garden - Daniel Knutt
58 = Cottage and part of garden - Daniel NUTT - sublet to Henry BURRETT

The Allrights provided the land for the Chapel and continued to own the property while the congregation used it. The family wasn't involved in preaching, but John Allright was listed as an Overseer of the Chapel in 1838.

This John Allright was the son of another John Allright, who left a Will that was proved in 1836.  This reveals a lot about the Allright family. Here's a simplified summary:

Will of John Allright of Swallowfield

  • All land in Langley Common to his son John Allright, plus land at Chapmans near Hurst; also Barn and Stable on newly-enclosed land at Langley Common; also Meeting-House and two tenements at Arborfield Cross; plus estate at Reading
    Daughter Hannah Allright to get £950

  • Grand-daughter Elizabeth Allright Targett to get £1000 in trust till age 21

  • Interest on this sum to father John Targett for maintenance, clothing & education

  • John Targett was promised the house he occupied at Sindlesham in a house that John Allright had bought from Devisees of John Simonds

  • Hannah was bequeathed ‘all my household goods and furniture plate linen and china victuals liquors and Fuel’

Dated 18th July 1821
Executors: John Allright, John Targett and friend Samuel Slaughter (a baker of Reading)


First Codicil, 14th January 1833:

  • Withdrew land at Sindlesham, but offered it to John Targett for sale at the original price; the sum to be divided between him, John Allright and Hannah

  • Hannah’s money to be protected against debts, power or control of any husband. If she dies without issue, money to be divided among:
    John Allrights’s children Joan Elizabeth, John and Alfred, and
    Elizabeth Allright Targett, daughter of the late Elizabeth Targett

Second Codicil, 25th March 1834:

  • Gave to John Targett ‘the Meetinghouse or Building made use of as a chapel or place of public Worship for protestant Dissenters situate at a place called Arborfield Cross in the parish of Hurst, keeping up, repairing and maintaining it, bounded with a pale fence on the north side and the west end thereof,
    on condition that John Targett and his heirs permit and suffer the same to be used as a place of public worship for Protestant Dissenters in such a manner as the same is now made use of for that purpose – as long as the Congregation will assemble therein for that purpose’

Third Codicil, 8th November 1834, after Elizabeth Allright Target had died:

  • The £1000 sum for her was revoked, along with any share as a residuary legatee, and the interest on the money for John Targett (so she was still under 21), and also the Meeting-House.

  • Instead, he was to get the two closes of land adjoining his own house and premises at Sindlesham.

  • The Meeting-house was now to go to his daughter Hannah Allright during her life, and then reverting to his son John Allright.

Proved at London with 3 codicils on 22nd November 1836 before the Judge by the three Executors, to whom Admon was granted

A John Targett was a Deacon at the Chapel in May 1838, but it is not clear whether he was the same person as mentioned in the Will. 

The John Targett in the Will was the prime mover behind the building of Sindlesham Baptist Church. He was a Baker at Sindlesham, and he entered into an appointment of the piece of land and a Declaration of Trust with the following people:

Rev. John Howard Hinton of Reading (Protestant Dissenting Minister),
Rev John Coles of Wokingham, Dissenting Minister,
Samuel Porter of Wokingham, watchmaker,
William Porter of Wokingham, linen draper,
Stephen Sale of Wokingham, Gardener,
Charles Targett of Bray, Baker,
Philip Davies of Reading, Grocer,
Samuel Collier of Reading, Grocer,
William Beckley of Reading, Grocer,
Henry Jackson of Reading, Tallow Chandler,
Samuel Elkens Phillips of Reading, Cabinet Maker,
Samuel Gostage of Reading, linen draper,
George Cleare of Sindlesham, Baker,
Frederick Williams of Reading, Ironmonger.

The first interment at Sindlesham was Elizabeth Allright Targett, aged 15, in 1834.

John Targett re-married 3 times, to Eleanor, who died in March 1837 a few weeks after giving birth to John (he died aged 10 months); Susan, who died in 1845; and Jane Maria, who died in 1877.  John Targett died in 1866, and all are buried at Sindlesham. His son Edward Chase Targett inherited the house in Sindlesham, but sold it to John Walter of Bearwood. The Chapel was rebuilt in 1868. Did some of the money come from John Targett? It seems that there was a donation from John Walter to ensure that the new building was in keeping with his model village.

There were continuing connections in Arborfield for both Allright and Targett families, as these entries from Post Office Directories show:

~1847: Small Wesleyan Chapel
1854: John Targett, farmer
1887: Mrs. Allright - Infant mistress (teachers are also listed for older pupils)
1887: John A Allright - farmer at Targett's Farm  (other directories between 1887 and 1903 list different Infant Mistresses)
1903: Elementary School: Mrs J Allright, Infant Mistress
1891: Charles Clacey, at Targett's Farm

Back to Dissenting Chapel Page

Back to Families Page


Any Feedback or comments on this website?  Please e-mail the webmaster