When at The Mount in
Bishopstoke, Thomas Hargreaves was universally addressed as 'Captain Hargreaves'. Although he gained
the title through his time with the Army, it seems that he was known
locally as a seafarer, so was he pretending that he was a Naval captain?
Come what may, he threw open The Mount for all manner of social events and also provided marquees for other events held locally. He also played his part in helping the community, including putting out a neigbour's hay fire, and helping victims of a carriage crash.
The following newspaper reports give a flavour of what went on at these occasions.
The first article shows that Mrs. Warriner and Thomas Hargreaves were not yet treated as a couple, but they soon became accepted in local society.
It also appears that members of Captain Hargreaves' family were present at some of the social occasions, such as the Portsmouth Builders' Association's big day out in July 1878.
Hampshire Advertiser 30 Aug 1873:
EASTLEIGH AND BISHOPSTOKE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY.
The third annual show of this society, established in 1871, and the president of which is Mr. Thomas Chamberlayne (Cranbury Park), was held in the grounds of Barton-farm, near the Bishopstoke Railway Station, on Wednesday, and proved to be the most successful exhibition that has been held in connection with the society, the competition being very close indeed for the 367 prizes offered for flowers, &c. In the afternoon there were one or two smart showers, but notwithstanding this the attendance was large, especially towards the evening, no less than £26 being paid for admission.
The grounds were decorated with flags, and the company in the afternoon included the elite of the neighbourhood, among those present being Captain and Mrs. Crofts, Mr. A. R. and Mrs. Naghten, Mr. Spencer Smith, Dr. Osborn, Mr. and Mrs. Barney, Mr. A. L. McCalmont, Mr. A. Ede and Mrs. Ede, Mr. Daniels, General and Mrs. Newton, Captain and Mrs. Beattie, Rev. Mr. Hutchinson, Mr. J. and Mrs. Reeves, Mr., Mrs., and the Misses Willmer, Rev. C.A. Moore and party, Captain Andrew and party, Mrs. Warriner, Captain Hargreaves, Mr. Quick, Dr. Harnett, Dr. Greaves, Mr. and Mrs. Dyer (Alton), Rev. Mr. Harris, Mr. Cordery, Mr, R. Jones Bateman and party, Mr. G. O. Deane and party, Mr. W. Stride, Mr. W. H. Swayne, Mr. R. Soffe, &c.
The show was arranged in several tents, and the judges were occupied a considerable tine in making their awards. […] G. Forty, gardener to Mrs. Warriner, of The Mount, Bishopstoke, was successful with many of his specimens, and we must not omit to mention his well grown and tastefully arranged collection of vegetables, while his while his brace of cucumbers were fine specimens. His first prize balsams were a feature in the show. […]
H. A. 23 Jul 1873: ODDFELLOWSHIP AND FORESTRY AT BISHOPSTOKE.
On Sunday last, 130 of the brethren of the two societies attended the Church of Bishopstoke, where a sermon was preached by the Rev. R. E. Harrison, who took for his text “They that are whole need not a physician, but those that are sick”. A collection was made by the express wish of the two societies, in behalf of the Royal South Hants Infirmary, when £3 17s 6d was collected.
Yesterday (Tuesday) the members, of “Loyal Noah's Ark” lodge of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows, and those of Court “Chamberlayne” Ancient Order of Foresters, held an amalgamated gala and fete, which passed off with the most unprecedented success. Forming in procession in the village about 12 o'clock, and after paying a friendly visit to Brother Cheater, of the Home Tavern, they proceeded to The Mount, Bishopstoke (which was kindly thrown open for their use by Mrs. Warriner), headed by the fine band of the 1st Hants Engineers, conducted by Mr. J. D. Wilson, bandmaster. Returning from here the procession wended its way to the Anchor Inn, Bishopstoke, which is picturesquely situated opposite a broad bend of the beautiful River Itchen. A most substantial dinner was provided by host Wilkins, to which from 150 to 160 sat down and did full justice to it. [...] “The health of the Chairman” concluded the toast list.
The procession was then re-formed and marched to The Mount, at which beautiful grounds a great number of people, wives, children, and friends of the members were assembled, and these wandered about the grounds, evidently delighted with the splendid gardens and scenery, or listened to the strains of the Engineers' band. Towards evening the chief of the committee and a few others assembled in front of the house, with the band, and Mrs. Warriner and Captain Hargreaves received them. - Mr. Bundy then returned thanks for the Foresters, Mr. Pope (by request) for the Oddfellows, and Mr. Bemister for the visitors, for the kindness of the owner in allowing the use of their grounds. A gracious acknowledgement was made, accompanied with a present of £1 from Mrs. Warriner and £1 from Captain Hargreaves, and the band played “Auld Lang Syne”. In the evening dancing and other amusements were indulged in.
Hampshire Advertiser, 29th July 1876: BISHOPSTOKE - HAY ON FIRE
Immediately on its being known the fire engine was got out by the brigade, and proceeded to the scene of the conflagration, when it was found that two more ricks had taken fire, and was at that time one mass of flame. There was plenty of water, and copious streams from the engine, assisted by many willing helpers with buckets, soon told upon it, and after a few hours the firemen were enabled to cut the rick in two, and also cut the outsides of others, thus saving a large quantity of hay.
Too much priase cannot be bestowed on the fire brigade, who, under the superintendence of Mr. James Hunett, exerted themselves manfully. Mr. H. M. Taylor, Mr. Donkin, of Barton Farm, Captain Hargreaves, Mr. H. Williner, jun., &c., ably assisted. At 10.15 p.m., the brigade left Mr. Pridmore, the bailiff, and his men in charge for the night, but on Monday night at 11.30 they were again called, for the fire had broken out afresh, but after a night's work it was extinguished, much extra damage being done.
Nine and a half minutes only elapsed from the time of the ringing of the fire bell until the engine was brought to play upon the fire, thus showing the alacrity displayed by the brigade. The cause of the fire was the heating of the new hay.
H. A. 08 Aug 1877: SOUTHAMPTON HORTICULTURAL & FLORICULTURAL SOCIETY.
On Saturday the annual grand show of this society was held in Westwood Park, Southampton Avenue, and the gradual importance and increase which has been apparent for some years from the exertions of the committee, and, especially, the chairman (Col. Lacy), the vice-chairman (Mr. Philp), the energetic hon. Secretary (Mr. C. S. Fuige), and the assistant secretary (Mr. Snelgrove), was exemplified this year, every branch of the show being, with few exceptions, in excellence far beyond those of former years.
On Saturday, the weather being fine, the attendance was much larger than the previous year, which was then considered very good, even for this, the largest show held in the Southern District of Hants, if not in the county as a whole. To Mr. Fuidge and his assistant must be given the credit of staging the plants and vegetables to the best advantage, for the benefit of the exhibitors and also the sightseers, and this was a work inculcating no little time and labour, there being four large marquees, while the cut flowers, fruit, table decorations, and bouquets, epergnes, &c., the gem of the show, were exhibited in a magnificent marquee, lent by Capt. Hargreaves, of Bishopstoke.
The importance of the show, which is gradually extending its dimensions, may be gathered by a glance at the prize list, which, offering prizes totally worth £200, brought competitors not only from those neighbourhood, but from Salisbury, Oxford, and Kingston, in Surrey. […] The tent lent by Captain Hargreaves, as before mentioned, was specially devoted to fruit, and flowers, for decorative purposes, and the exhibitors deserved the utmost praise for their superb show. [...]
Saturday 13th July 1878
The party (having previously obtained permission), headed by a detachment of the Marine Band (Gosport), then proceeded to “The Mount”, the seat of Captain Hargreaves, and about a mile distant from the station. After roaming about the beautiful grounds and gardens adjoining the mansion, and viewing the costly pictures, sculpture, and works of art in the picture gallery, &c., which were much admired, and which, by the way, is well worth a journey to Bishopstoke, the party proceeded to a meadow adjoining the grounds, where dinner was provided by Mr. George Elleridge, of the “Anchor” Inn, in a large marquee, kiindly lent for the occasion by Captain Hargreaves.
Mr. H. Evans, the Chairman of the Association, presided at the dinner, and Mr. C. Light occupied the vice-chair. Having done justice to the good things provided, and the Chairman having proposed the usual loyal toasts, Mr. Drew Bear (of London) proposed the Association, to which the Vice-Chairman responded. - Mr. F. White (St. James-road) then proposed the health of Captain Hargreaves, and spoke in eulogistic terms of the cordial manner in which they had been received that day. - Mr. C. B. Whitcomb (Gosport) proposed the ladies in a humorous speech, to which Mr. Evans responded in a speech even more humorous. - The health of the visitors having been proposed by the Chairman, and responded to by Mr. A. German, and Mr. C. Gillham having proposed that of the Chairman, the majority of the party proceeded to the mansion, the greater part of which was very generously thrown open for their inspection. Captain Hargreaves, who seemed to take the greatest interest in entertaining the party, most kindly explained the history and other details connected with the numerous and attractive works of art with which his residence is so well filled.
The party were thus agreeably occupied for a considerable time, and then proceeded to a spot selected for dancing purposes, which, as a matter of course, was well patronised. Some availed themselves of a row on the river, and the remaining members by a game of “Aunt Sally”, and in various other ways until time for tea, which was served at about six o'clock. Before that repast was over it commenced to rain rather heavily, which prevented outdoor amusements for a time. The dancing members of the party were, however, determined not to be outdone, and after clearing away the tea-tables from the centre of the marquee, they commenced dancing in right earnest to the enlivening strains of the band, and with Mr. Cole as M.C., continued the game until darkness set in, and the signal was given for the return home.
The party, after giving three hearty cheers for Captain Hargreaves, who with several members of his family was present, they commenced their homeward journey. Portsmouth was reached shortly before eleven o'clock, and all appeared very well pleased with their day's outing.
A very narrow escape, from what might have proved a very serious accident, occurred on Thursday afternoon to Captain Cooper and his family, of Spring-grove, whilst out riding in their carriage. It appears that on passing the bridge known as High-Bridge, on the road from Bishopstoke to Eastleigh, and which is in a very bad condition, being full of holes, the jolting of the carriage caused the pole to strike one of the horses in the mouth, when it bolted, commenced kicking, and jumped over the hedge on the right-hand side of the road. Fortunately, Captain Hargreaves, of the Mount, was passing in his carriage, and, with assistance, Mrs. Cooper, and child, and servant, were, by the kindness of that gentleman, removed to his carriage, and conveyed to their residence at Spring-grove, happily, unhurt, but, of course, much frightened.
The horses and carriage were with some difficulty extricated, thanks to the timely efforts of the employes of Mr. H. Barney, of the Bishopstoke mills, and some men in the employ of Mr. Black, of Barton farm. Surely, considering the great traffic on this road, something should at once be done to prevent anything of this kind occurring again.
H. A. 03 Feb 1883: ROYAL SOUTHAMPTON HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY.
The annual general meeting of the members of the above society was held on Wednesday evening, in the card room of the Philharmonic Hall, and was largely attended, the Mayor (Mr. W. H. Davis) being in the chair. There were also present […] &c.
[…] “In conclusion, the committee tender their most hearty thanks to the Mayor, Captain Hargreaves, General Cooke, C.B., Captain Bevis, Mr. G. T. Harper, Colonel Sir Charles Pearson, C.B., Miss Ogden, Mrs. McCalmont, and others who rendered assistance in various ways at the exhibitions; and also to the many donors of special prizes.” […]
H. A. 08 Aug 1883: ROYAL SOUTHAMPTON HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY.
The great popular summer show of the Royal Southampton Horticultural Society was held on Saturday and Monday (Bank Holiday) in the admirable grounds the society have secured for a term of years in Westwood Park, […] Captain Hargreaves, of The Mount, Bishopstoke, kindly lent a large marquee for the use of the Society, [...]
A very pleasant gathering took place on Saturday August 25th, when a number of the members and friends of the Workmen's Reading Rooms, with the Rev. Cresswell and Mrs. Strange, paid a visit to The Mount, Bishopstoke. The beautiful grounds and exquisite collections of rare works of art and antiquity, were thrown open to the visitors, by the kindness of Captain Hargreaves, who placed them under a still further debt of gratitude by explaining many of the objects of interest and beauty contained in the billiard-room and adjoining galleries.
This was followed by a tea under the trees, well served by Mr. Mitchell, after which time was spent in various games, or in exploring the unsurpassed beauty of the grounds, &c. The party arrived in Southampton again at about 8 o'clock, after a most enjoyable afternoon.
H. A. 28 July 1886: THE APPROACHING ROYAL VISIT TO SOUTHAMPTON
As the time approaches for the visit of Prince and Princess Henry of Battenburg to Southampton, the arrangements for giving them a right loyal reception are nearing completion. The local bodies – the magistrates, Corporation, Harbour Board, and Local Committee – will attend at the Municipal offices at 11.30 on Saturday morning. They will proceed in carriages, some thirty or forty in number, drawn by grey horse, to the Royal Pier, to receive the Royal visitors […]
At the bottom of the High-street, where the old Water Gate stood, will be erected a triumphal arch, by the members of the fire brigades in the town. Between Andrews and Watts's Parks will be a large handsome arch, consisting of two embattled towers, with a causeway between and a guardroom, in which will be twelve men in the costume of Charles II, who will turn out as a guard on the approach of the Royal carriage. […]
The railway bridge in St. Mary's-street will be enclosed under a large beehive, which is to be 30 feet high, and the procession will pass beneath it. It will be constructed on wooden girders covered with straw, and festooned with red, white, and blue. On the side which the Royal party will approach the beehive will be the word “Welcome”, and on either side the Royal arms and the letter “B, with appropriate flags and banners, surmounted by a flag-staff and the Royal Standard.
The 1st Hants Artillery Volunteers will form a guard of honour, both on the arrival and departure of the Royal visitors, and a battery of them will fire a Royal salute, and their band play on the Pier. An escort will be provided by the Hants Yeomanry Cavalry. [...]
The Ianira, schooner yacht, belonging to Captain T. Hargreaves, of The Mount, Bishopstoke, has been brought up to moorings off the Town Quay, and on Saturday evening will be brilliantly illuminated and have a splendid display of fireworks in honour of the visit of Princess Beatrice. There is sure to be a large fleet of yachts anchored in our river on Saturday evening in readiness for the Royal Southampton week, and it is to be hoped other yachtsmen may be induced to follow example of Captain Hargreaves.
It has been suggested that the town decorations may be allowed to remain over Bank Holiday (Monday next), as they will probably attract a large number of visitors to the town. [...]
Hampshire Advertiser, Sat. 21st May 1887: EASTLEIGH
THE EASTLEIGH BRASS BAND had a march out on Saturday evening to Bishopstoke, and on visiting the Mount, the residence of Captain T. Hargreaves, they were invited by that gentleman to play during dinner, which they did. Captain Hargreaves afterwards gave a handsome donation to the band fund, and entertained the members of the band to supper in the servants' hall. Refreshments had also been supplied during the performances, and the band returned to Eastleigh about 11 o'clock, well pleased with their evening's outing.
Hampshire Advertiser Wed. 20th July 1887: L & SWR SERVANTS' ORPHANAGE.
GRAND FETE AT BISHOPSTOKE.
A grand Jubilee fete was held on Saturday, in the beautiful grounds of the Mount, Bishopstoke, in aid of the funds of the above deserving institution. The use of the grounds was kindly placed at the disposal of the committee by Captain Hargreaves, who has generously done the same on a previous occasion for the same object, and on Saturday, in addition to throwing open his beautiful grounds, and the splendid picture gallery he had the extensive demesne brilliantly illuminated at night on a similarly extensive scale, as when the Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen was recently celebrated.
The orphanage, which is situated just below Clapham, was opened on the 11th March, 1886, by Mr. W. Wyndham Portal, deputy-chairman of the Board of Directors of the London and South-Western Railway Company. A start was made with ten children, but now there are eighteen in the institution, and it is proposed to have another election in September. At present only girls are taken at the Orphanage, but efforts are being made to afford accommodation for boys.
The different employes all over the London and South-Western Company's extensive system have taken up the matter with hearty goodwill, and are doing their best to make the institution successful, and as useful as possible. The Orphanage is managed solely by a committee composed of employes of the Company, and there are sub-committees at different stations, Bishopstoke being amongst their number, and the fete was arranged by the committee at the latter place, the railway company kindly allowing a reduction of fare from different stations to Bishopstoke.
The committee having charge of the arrangements consisted of Inspectors Pearce, Elliott, and Bennett (Permanent Way), Messrs. Annett, Evans (Booking Office), H. Franklin (Goods Department), Hales (Carriage Department), Lofting (Telegraph Department), Neal (Engineers Department), Willmer, jun., Mr. Spencer (Secretary of the Orphanage), &c.
The Nine Elms Guards brass band travelled from London, and generously gave their services, as did also the Salisbury Station band. Both bands under the direction of their respective bandmasters, Messrs. Boys and Venns, played capital selections of music during the afternoon and evening.
Some capital sports took place during the afternoon. An open race of 150 yards was won by Vincent, of Salisbury, Taylor being second. A race 120 yards for railway porters was won by Hoadley, and Carter second. A quarter of a mile race was won by J. Bennett, Vincent being second.
A Siamese twin race was gained by Burt and Barnes, Hoadley and Bennett being second. There were sack races for men and lads, an egg and spoon race for ladies, and a hotly-contested tug of war. There was also a rifle shooting competition, and various other amusements were provided, including shooting galleries, shooting at a running rabbit, imitation pigeons, and glass bottles. There was also an automatic weighing machine, which registered a person's weight by dropping a penny into a box, and the receipts were for the benefit of the Orphanage.
During the afternoon the Eastleigh Glee Union, composed of members of different local choirs, under the superintendence of Mr. Sims, schoolmaster, sang as follows:- Jubilee Ode, “Awake, Oh Happy Nation”; glee, “The Forester sounds his cheerful horn”; “Mark the merry elves”; glee, “Huntsmen's Chorus,” Weber; trio, “A Little Farm well tilled,” Messrs. Franklin, Brown, and Bustard; glee, “The Carnovale”; glee, “Oh! Where do Fairies hide their Heads”; glee, “March of the Men of Harlech”; comic duet, “Upper Ten and Lower Five”; glee, “Oh! Hush thee my Baby.” Mr. Powell acted as accompanist.
The two bands played for dancing during the evening. Large numbers availed themselves of the privilege of inspecting the beautiful works of art in the museum and picture gallery, and at night the beautiful grounds were most brilliantly illuminated, the electric light being in various points of 'vantage, while the many pathways and flower beds were marked out with variegated fairy lamps, thousands being used for the purpose. Chinese lanterns were also largely used, and the whole presented a most pleasing and fairy-like aspect. The flag-staff in the grounds was illuminated in rainbow fashion, in imitation of a yacht.
Captain Hargreaves laboured assiduously to make the illuminations a success, and was ably assisted by Mr. Forty and others. The Mayor of Southampton (Alderman Harry Coles), Sheriff E. Brown, Councillors W. G. Lankester, and J. B. Thomas, and Captain E. Gibbs were invited by Captain Hargreaves to dine with him, and they were taken round and shown the illuminations, with regard to which they expressed a vote of thanks to Captain Hargreaves for the kindness he was always showing in lending his grounds for any deserving object. - Sheriff Brown seconded the proposition, which was carried with acclamation. - Captain Hargreaves briefly acknowledged the compliment. - The visitors were met at the station, and driven back in vehicles belonging to Captain Hargreaves.
Hampshire Advertiser, Sat. 6th August 1887: BISHOPSTOKE
THE RECENT JUBILEE FETE – Out of the proceeds of the recent Jubilee fête held at the Mount, Captain Hargreaves' beautiful residence, the sum of 5s. each has been given to 77 aged and deserving persons, which they received with gratitude. Jubilee medals have been very kindly given by Captain Hargreaves to all the day and Sunday scholars of Bishopstoke, Fair Oak and Horton Heath, also to servants, tenants and others.
FETE AT THE MOUNT – Captain Hargreaves, of the Mount, Bishopstoke, most generously allowed the use of his beautiful and spacious grounds, on Monday (Bank Holiday), for the purpose of benefiting those excellent institutions, the County Hospital at Winchester, and the Royal South Hants Infirmary at Southampton, and never before probably have so many persons passed through the village. That the kindness of Captain Hargreaves was much appreciated was shown by the large number of people who availed themselves of the opportunity of viewing the spacious and beautiful demesne, and the pleasure that was freely expressed must have proved a source of satisfaction to the gallant captain as he walked about amongst the visitors. The London and South-Western Railway Company aided the object in view by running cheap excursion trains.
The Lockerley Temperance Band was in attendance during the afternoon, and played an excellent selection of music which was thoroughly enjoyed and terpsichorean votaries tripped gaily on the green on the “light fantastic toe” to the strains of the band. The grounds were gaily decorated, the men belonging to Captain Hargreaves' yacht assisting in this work. The picture galleries were a source of attraction as usual, and large crowds passed through, expressing their admiration at the many beautiful objects on view.
In the evening the grounds were most brilliantly illuminated with the electric light, variegated lamps, and Chinese lanterns, as has been the case on several recent occasions through the extreme liberality of Captain Hargreaves, the sight being one that can only be rarely witnessed. Captain Hargreaves was most energetic to see that the arrangements were carried out, and the general superintendence was in the hands of Mr. Forty, who most ably and zealously discharged his duty. The result of the fête is that the handsome sum of £18 will be devoted to the benefit of each of the noble institutions above mentioned.
Hampshire Advertiser, Sat. 5th Jan 1889: BISHOPSTOKE - TREAT TO EMPLOYES.
Captain Hargreaves gave his annual Christmas tree and entertainment to his tenants, their wives and families, and employés on the estate, on New Year's Eve, and it was much enjoyed by all. The place was brilliantly illuminated in honour of the occasion, the night being very dark. The decorations never looked to better advantage.
Hampshire Advertiser 04 Mar 1891: ANGLING IN THE ITCHEN.
All lovers of angling on the lower Itchen, writes “Piscator” to the Hampshire Chronicle will be pleased to hear that Captain Hargreaves, of the Mount, Bishopstoke, is doing his best to get that portion of the river well-stocked with trout. He has this season again laid down fro, 30,000 to 40,000 ova in his breeding house, which is fitted up with all the modern appliances, and is under the superintendence of Mr. G. Forty, who, by the way, is becoming a very good pisiculturalist, considering the short experience he has had. Last season was the first of his breeding trout at the Mount, but he has found a useful tutor in Mr. H. Diddams, of Hatfield, who was entrusted with the building and fitting up of the hatching house.
Last season Captain Hargreaves turned out into the river about 20,000 fry and about 2000 yearlings of the River Lea strain, which were bred in his hatchery, and the other day when netting for pike several of them were caught, varying from five to seven inches in length, and in most splendid condition, which shows how well the Lea trout are doing in the Itchen.
There is not the least doubt that a cross between these two different strains of fish will prove a benefit to the old Itchen, for the Lea trout are a very fine strain of fish, plenty of them weighing from four to five lbs. each, and show capital sport when hooked, some of them fighting equal to a salmon. The cross may also help to retrieve the sport which “Detached Badger” wrote about so deteriorating in chalk streams. Let us hope that this will be the case, and that we may live to see the good old Itchen once more holding its place as regards sport. Wishing Captain Hargreaves success in every way in his undertaking, that he may have another 20,000 to turn into the river this year for the benefit of himself and brother anglers.
Hampshire Advertiser 05 Sep 1891:
FIRE BRIGADES' DEMONSTRATION AND FETE AT BISHOPSTOKE
For the purposes of aiding the fund for the equipment and appliances of the Eastleigh Fire Brigade, a most successful demonstration and fete took place on Wednesday afternoon, in the beautiful grounds of The Mount, Bishopstoke, kindly lent for the occasion by Captain T. Hargreaves. The engine belonging to the Eastleigh Brigade is the property of the London and South-Western Railway Company, and most of the members of the brigade are in the service of the company.
Seeing how the size of Eastleigh is increasing, it can hardly be expected that the Railway Company now should provide entirely for the equipment of the brigade, and as a demonstration and fete at Southampton recently was so successful, it was determined to carry out a similar event at the former place. A committee was formed, with Mr. F. L. Stait acting as hon. sec., and, through their efforts, everything passed off admirably.
Though the weather was somewhat threatening, the rain kept off, and there was a large attendance of spectators, among those present and taking an interest in the competitions being Captain Hargreaves, Mr. H. Willmer, the Rev. J. P. Nash, and many others. The beautifully laid out gardens were a source of attraction to many, and the objects of interest in the picture gallery, to visit which a small charge was made, were viewed by many, and, as usual, elicited many expressions of admiration.
The fine band of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion the Hampshire Regiment added to the pleasure of those present by playing, in first-class style, under the direction of Bandmaster J. D. Wilson, a capital selection of music, which was much appreciated, and in the evening afforded gratification to the devotees of terpsichore by rendering excellent dance music. Miss Frances Delaval gave some admirable dramatic recitals in the picture gallery in the evening, which were much enjoyed.
The Eastleigh Fire Brigade did not take part in the competitions, neither did the brigade of the 1st Hants Artillery Volunteers, though both took part in the procession, the latter, being under the charge of Sergeant-Major Long, and in addition to these being a number of other brigades. The engine drills were done on a new manual engine kindly lent by Messrs. Merryweather and Son, water for the same being pumped up to a tank from the river by means of the Eastleigh engine.
The Southampton Fire Brigade, which did not, of course, compete at Southampton on the occasion of their fete, showed their quality by carrying off every first prize, one second, and a third, defeating, in some cases by a very narrow margin of time, the crack brigade from the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery at Shepton-Mallet, which was so successful at Southampton. […]
[NOTE: Captain Hargreaves died in London a few weeks later on 28th September 1891]
Any Feedback or comments on this website? Please e-mail the webmaster