Local History Society

 Collier Collection - No. A508




This photo, from the Collier Collection, is reproduced by permission of the Museum of English Rural Life. It is a view of the Remount Depot, which was in Barkham despite the caption. The Depot trained and cared for the horses used by the British Army, and was extremely busy during the First World War with lines of horses delivered to Wokingham Station and then led along the Barkham Road. There are still stable blocks from the old Remount Depot, though the camp was converted into Arborfield Garrison in the late 1930's.

Back to Collier Collection

Back to Picture Gallery



Any Feedback or comments on this website?  Please e-mail the webmaster