Local History Society

 Auction - Newlands Estate 1947 - Page 12

Hill Cottage on a 1946 Aerial Photo

'The Poplars' smallholding on a 1946 aerial photo

View from Lot 1 looking over and beyond Lot 7



Back         Previous Page              Next Page

Photograph of Lot 7 taken in 1994

The smallholding originally named 'The Poplars'  is on the Mole Road next to the bridge across the Mole Brook. The bridge had long since been rebuilt from being hump-backed. The property is now known as 'Molebridge Farm'.

A Collier postcard of the hump-back bridge clearly shows two poplar trees adjacent to the bridge within the boundaries of Lot 7. However, a more prominent poplar tree was in the middle of the field opposite, as shown below in this 1994 photo.

Lot 7 as seen from Lot 1

The smallholding had long been in the possession of the Simonds family. In the 1840 Tithe Apportionment, it was occupied by Caleb Jeacock (or Jeacocke), bailiff for John Simonds and enumerator of the Census for the Liberty of Newland for many decades.

This view from February 2009, taken from a different angle, shows the house more clearly:

The former 'Poplars', in February 2009

Back         Previous Page              Next Page


Any Feedback or comments on this website?  Please e-mail the webmaster